Egg omelets are popular in cuisines around the world. Traditional French omelettes are firm and tender outside and soft inside. They should be cooked over medium heat to insure eggs are fully set, but still soft. After the eggs have set on one side, any topping ingredients, such as cheese, meats, vegetables, Spanish omelettes are open faced and cut into wedges and served as an appetizer. Italian frittatas are prepared with all ingredients including the eggs and baked as one whole pancake style dish. Every cuisine has a distinctively different way of creating incredible omelettes.
To create a great omelet start with fresh, high quality ingredients, and a nice non-stick medium sized skillet or omelet pan. Preheat your stovetop and omelet pan before adding eggs. Omelets cook quickly (often in less than 30 seconds), so carefully watching and tending to them during the entire cooking process is imperative. All ingredients should be prepared in advance of cooking.
Bed and Breakfast Niagara presents 10 recipes that are perfect for bed and breakfast owners or anyone looking to create classic omelets, modern twists on favorites and exciting new flavor combinations. Each recipe comes with a recipe description plus tips and techniques to insure the best omelet making experience. The basic omelet can be filled in countless ways. Master the technique of making omelets and then experiment with your favorite foods.
Bacon, Avocado, and Cheese Omelette with Tomato Salsa
2/3 cup finely chopped seeded Vine-Ripened Tomato
2 tablespoons finely chopped Red Onion
1 trimmed, seeded, and minced Jalapeno Chili Pepper
2 tablespoons minced Fresh Cilantro
1 tablespoon Fresh Lime or Lemon Juice
4 Large Eggs
2 tablespoons Water
1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
3 Bacon Slices, cooked and crumbled
1 Hass Avocado peeled and chopped in half-inch cubes
1/2 cup coarsely grated Fresh Monterey Jack Cheese
1. In a small bowl stir together the tomato, the onion, the jalapeno, the coriander, the lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste until the salsa is combined well.
2. In a bowl whisk together the eggs, the water, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. In an 8-inch skillet, preferably non-stick, heat 1/2 teaspoon of the butter over moderately high heat until the foam subsides, pour in half the egg mixture, tilting the skillet to spread the egg mixture evenly over the bottom, and cook it for 1 minute, or until it is almost set.
4. Sprinkle half the omelet with half the bacon, half the avocado, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces, and half the Monterey Jack and cook the omelet for 1 minute or until it is set.
5. Fold the omelet over the filling, transfer it to a plate, and keep it warm.
6. Make another omelet in the same manner with the remaining butter, egg mixture, bacon, avocado, and Monterey Jack cheese.
7. Serve the omelets with the salsa spooned over top.
Almond Supreme Omelette
Perfect omelet for any occasion, especially brunch. Omelet features slivered almonds and brie cheese.
5 Teaspoons Brie Cheese
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
2 Tablespoons Slivered Almonds (toasted)
1 Tablespoon Cold Water
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 Teaspoon Butter
1 Teaspoon Vegetable Oil
1. Whip the eggs with the water and baking powder.
2. Melt the butter in an omelet pan.
3. Add the egg mixture to a hot pan.
4. Use spatula to lift eggs as they cook.
5. Evenly spread the Brie over the eggs.
6. Add the toasted almonds when the cheese melts.
7. Flip them and serve with a wedge of ripe tomato and some bacon.
Apple Style Omelette
Apples sauteed in butter and folded into an egg omelet made by combining eggs, heavy cream, salt, pepper, and sugar. Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner, this is also an excellent omelet for an afternoon snack.
1/4 Cup Butter
3 Large Apples (peeled cored and diced)
6 Eggs — Lightly Beaten
1 Pinch Sea Salt
1 pinch Black Pepper
1/4 cup Heavy Cream
1 teaspoon White Sugar
1. Melt the butter over medium heat add the apples and sauté until tender but not completely cooked. Heat a lightly oiled omelet pan or medium sized skillet.
2. Whisk together eggs, cream, sugar, pepper, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture into the omelet pan.
3. When the bottom of the omelet has begun to set, place half of the apple mixture on top of the eggs.
4. When the bottom of omelet is completely cooked, fold over omelet, cover and cook through. Serve warm with remaining apples on top or on the side.
Asian style omelette folds white rice, carrot, bell pepper, green onion, and mushroom into an egg omelet seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and soy sauce.
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
1 Teaspoon Vegetable Oil
1 Cup Brown or White Rice
1 Tablespoon finely chopped Carrot
1 Tablespoon Green Bell Pepper (finely chopped)
1 Tablespoon Red Bell Pepper
1 Tablespoon Green Onion (finely chopped)
1 Tablespoon Mushrooms (finely chopped)
1 Garlic Clove (finely chopped)
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
1. Beat the eggs, milk and peppers (slightly).
2. Set aside.
3. In an 8 inch non-stick skillet heat the oil or omelet pan over medium-high heat.
4. Cook the remaining ingredients except the soy sauce in oil, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
5. Stir in the soy sauce.
6. Remove mixture from the skillet.
7. Keep warm.
8. Spray the same skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
9. Quickly pour about 1/2 cup of the egg mixture into a skillet.
10. Slide skillet back and forth rapidly over heat.
11. At the same time quickly stir with a fork to spread eggs continuously over the bottom of skillet as they thicken.
12. Let stand over heat a few seconds to lightly brown bottom of omelet. (Do not overcook–omelet will continue to cook after folding.)
13. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the rice mixture on one side of omelet.
14. Run the spatula under unfilled side of the omelet.
15. Lift over rice mixture.
16. Tilting skillet slightly, turn omelet onto plate.
17. Repeat with remaining egg and rice mixtures.
Quick and easy omelet features asparagus and Swiss cheese.
1 pound Asparagus (about 1 cup, trimmed)
1 Cup Shredded Swiss Cheese
8 Large Eggs
4 Teaspoons Butter
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1. In a medium sauce pan, in 2 cups of water bring the asparagus and to a boil.
2. Reduce the heat to a simmer and allow the asparagus to cook until tender.
3. Drain and blanche the asparagus in cold water.
4. Set aside.
5. Beat the eggs with salt and 1/3 cup of water for each omelettes.
6. Do the following: Prepare a medium skillet or frying pan at medium heat with a teaspoon of melted butter.
7. Pour 1/2 cup of the egg mixture into the pan.
8. Cook until egg is set, occasionally lifting the edges of the omelettes to allow more egg to cook.
9. On one half of the omelettes, sprinkle 1/4 cup of Swiss cheese.
10. Top cheese with 1/4 cup of asparagus.
11. Fold the omelets over.
12. Allow to cook 1 more minute.
13. Slide the omelets onto serving plate.
14. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
15. Garnish with parsley.
Baby Spinach Omelet
Egg omelet features baby spinach and grated Parmesan cheese. Small omelet recipe can easily be double or tripled.
1 Cup Torn Baby Spinach Leaves
1-1/2 Tablespoons Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1/8 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Beat the eggs, and stir in the baby spinach and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl.
2. Season with pepper, nutmeg, onion powder and salt.
3. In a small skillet, over medium, spray with non -stick cooking spray.
4. Flip the egg mixture with a spatula.
5. Continue cooking 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking 2 to 3 minutes, or to desired doneness.
Brunch Omelette Torte
This omelet recipe is involved but worth the time, effort and expense. Frozen puff pastry, red potatoes, onion, cooked ham, and cheddar cheese highlight this brunch offering.
1 Package Frozen Puff Pastry Sheets, (17.5 ounce, thawed)
1/4 Cup Butter
6 Red Potatoes (peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick)
1 Onion (thinly sliced into rings)
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Butter (divided)
1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley (chopped)
1 Pinch Salt
1 Pinch Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Water
Cooked Ham ( 8 ounces, thinly sliced)
2 Cups Cheddar cheese (shredded)
1 Tablespoon Water
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll each sheet of puff pastry into a 12 inch square.
3. Lay 1 sheet puff pastry into a 10 inch pie plate; set aside.
4. Melt 1/4 cup butter until sizzling In a 10 inch skillet.
5. Add 1/4 teaspoon pepper, onion, potatoes, 1/4 teaspoon salt and.
6. Cover and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until the potatoes are lightly browned and crisply tender which takes about 12 to 15 minutes.
7. Set aside.
8. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter until sizzling.
9. Meanwhile, stir together red potatoes, onion eggs, parsley and cheese
10. All Omelet ingredients except the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
11. Pour half of the Omelet mixture (3/4 cup) into heated skillet.
12. Cook over medium heat.
13. As the omelet mixture sets, lift it slightly with the spatula to allow uncooked portion to flow underneath.
14. Continue cooking until set about 2 to 3 minutes.
15. Slide omelet onto cookie sheet.
16. Repeat with remaining butter and omelet mixture.
17. Layer ingredients into a pie plate on top of a puff pastry in the following order one of the top omelets, 4 ounces ham, half of fried the potatoes, 1 cup shredded cheese, remaining potatoes, cheese and 2nd omelet.
18. Top with the remaining sheet of puff pastry.
19. Press together edges of both sheets of puff pastry to form a rim; trim off excess.
20. Crimp or flute the edges.
21. In a small bowl, stir together 1 egg and 1 table spoon of water.
22. Brush over the puff pastry.
23. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
24. Let stand 5 minutes; cut into wedges.
California Omelette Recipe
1 onion, chopped
1 (4 oz) can diced chilies, drained
1 small can black olives
3/4 lb jack cheese, grated
3/4 lb cheddar cheese, grated
1 pt sour cream
1. In a mixing bowl, add in the chilies, onion, olives and grated cheese. Combine and mix well.
2. Transfer everything into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
3. In another mixing bowl, add in the eggs and beat them. Fold into sour cream.
4. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese mixture in the baking dish.
5. Bake at 325Â°F (163Â°C) for 35 minutes until the eggs are set.
6. Serve and enjoy!
Fiesta Omelette Recipe
3 tablespoons milk
green chilies, chopped
cheddar cheese, grated
jack cheese, grated
1 tablespoons oleo
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1. In a mixing bowl, add in the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Combine and beat well.
2. Preheat the skillet then add in the oleo. Add in the egg mixture and cook slowly.
3. Run the spatula around the edge and be sure to lift it to allow uncooked portion of the eggs to flow underneath.
4. When the eggs are almost cooked, add in the grated cheese, ham, chilies just off the center.
5. Roll and slip out on plate.
6. Garnish with salsa and tortilla chips.
7. Serve and enjoy!
Zucchini Omelette Recipe
2 large eggs
2 small zucchini
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup cheese
1/4 cup wax peppers
1/4 cup cream cheese
1. First of all, season the zucchini.
2. In a mixing bowl, add in the eggs and beat them slightly.
3. Preheat the skillet then add in 1 tablespoon of butter. Add in the seasoned zucchini, onion and garlic then saute them. Set aside.
3. In a clean skillet, add in 1 tablespoon of butter then pour in the beaten seasoned eggs.
4. When the eggs are just about done, pour in the zucchini and onion in half of the omelette.
5. Top with wax peppers and cream cheese. Fold in half then top with cheese.
6. Cook it in the oven for 5 minutes at 350Â°F (177Â°C).
7. Serve and enjoy!
Country Style Omelette Recipe
1/2 lb pork sausage
2 medium potatoes, shredded
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons water
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the skillet and add in pork sausages. Saute them for 5 minutes until they are no longer pink then break up the sausages.
2. Add in the butter and onion and continue sauteeing until the onions are soft but not browned.
3. Add in the shredded potatoes and saute them for 2 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
4. In a mixing bowl, add in the eggs, salt, pepper and water. Combine and beat well.
5. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage mixture then cook over medium heat.
6. When the egg mixture begin to set, use a spatula and push the cooked portion toward the center of the pan so that the uncooked portion can run under it.
7. When the egg mixture are lightly browned on underside and almost set on top, sprinkle with parsley and red pepper.
8. Just serve it directly from the pan. Enjoy!
Spanish Omelette Recipe
1/2 cup crisp bacon, cooked and chopped
3/4 cup potatoes, boiled and diced
1/4 cup sliced leeks
2 tablespoons cheddar cheese, grated
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1. Preheat the skillet and add in the butter. Add in the leeks and saute them until tender for 10 minutes over low heat.
2. Add in the remaining butters. Add in the potatotes then brown them.
3. In a mixing bowl, add in the cooked bacon and transfer the sauteed leeks and potatoes into it. Season it with salt and pepper then combine and mix well.
4. In another mixing bowl, add in the eggs and beat them briefly with a fork. Add in the grated cheddar cheese and everything in the mixing bowl earlier (bacon, leeks, potatoes).
5. Preheat another skillet then add in the olive oil. Pour in the whole egg mixture and cook until the bottom is set and browned.
6. Now and then lift the bottom with a fork to allow the uncooked egg to run underneath.
7. Get another skillet then reverse it.
8. Best served hot. Enjoy!