Discover Great Wineries in Southwest of Ontario including Jordan, Beamsville, Grimsby, Vineland and Niagara on the Lake
Niagara wineries, wine tours, picturesque Niagara wine county, vineyards and top Niagara on the Lake wineries are in short what you will find in this article.
Niagara Peninsula has over 15000 acres under vine, with more than 60 Niagara wineries, from Niagara-on-the-Lake to Grimsby.
Grimsby and Beamsville, Jordan and Vineland and Niagara-on-the-Lake are the three wine regions, and the entire area stretches about 55 km, with an easy access from QEW highway. With so many wineries available, by visiting only several from the huge list is such a delicious way to spend an hour or two.
Niagara-on-the-Lake wineries are probably the best known and the most visited ones. These wineries are only 30min from the wonderful waterfalls and minutes away from this historic town.
Some of these Niagara wineries, feature an old, antique wine cellars, state-of-the-art facilities, small family owned and operated vineyards.
And one is common, beautiful and picturesque countryside with spectacular display of colors and opportunity for outdoor activities.
Before visiting all these attractive top Ontario wineries, you might want to consider booking one of many Niagara wine tours. There are numerous agencies that are offering tour deals, and if you stayed in one of the high scale hotels many vacation packages are also available.
Ideal location for Niagara Wineries
The Niagara region is ideally located for growing high quality grapes and wine making. Thanks to the proximity of two lakes, Lake Ontario and Lake Erie, and Natural reserve, The Escarpment, Niagara vineyards are protected from the extreme temperature fluctuation.
The proximity of the Lake Ontario and the height of the Escarpment is not only suitable for grapes, but for fruits like cherries and peaches also. They are also used in the wine making process.
Niagara growers after testing many vine varieties are now using European grape sorts and the result is that they are making higher quality table wines. Thanks to the combination of all these parameters, wineries in Niagara and Niagara wines are owners of many prestige awards.
One of the award-winning wines is a Niagara Jewel, a dessert wine called “Icewine”. Icewine is among the top North American wines. It is made from naturally frozen grapes, handpicked and immediately pressed.
There are thousands of people, every year, exploring Niagara wineries, and that is why we have made our contribution, to help you in your wine tours and overall experience.
Here are some of the wineries in Niagara, categorized per wine regions:
- Hillebrand Estates
- Jakson-Triggs Estate Winery
- Vineland Estates Winery
- Lakeview Cellars Winery
- Royal DeMaria Wines
- Stoney Ridge Estate Winery
- Cave Spring Cellars
- Crown Bench Estates
- De Sousa Wine Cellars
- EastDell Estates
- Frogpond Farm produces organic wine. Grapes are handpicked and natural pest control is used.
- Hillebrand Winery Restaurant is one of the top dining destinations in the region.
Inniskillin was granted the first winery license in Ontario in 1929 and is the largest Niagara winery. Inniskillin won the prestige Civart Trophy in France, for its 1989 Vidal Icewine.
- Jackson-Triggs Estate Winery is one of the most tech advanced, state-of-the-art winery, in Ontario and Canada. There is an open air amphitheater with a seasonal entertainment, located in the back of the vineyard.
- Peller Estates Winery – one of the largest wineries on the Niagara Peninsula and Canada’s producers of wine.
- Niagara College Teaching Winery – is the only winery that is dedicated to teach the science of wine making.
- Featherstone Estate Winery – is producing small batches of premium wines, from insecticide-free grapes.
- Pillitteri is Canada’s largest producer of Icewine.
Older wineries that have vineyards with vines more than 20 years old:
- Cave Spring Cellars
And remember this; Niagara has a world recognized reputation in wine making and wine quality, where one is very special, the Icewine, Niagara’s Jewel.