A simple French toast recipe is the best choice for those who want to add a bit of flavour to the bread they’re eating. It doesn’t matter if you want this for brunch or dinner it’s always a welcome treat. All you have to do is know how to do it properly.
The French toast isn’t usually made from fresh bread. It’s ideal to use bread which is a day old if you want it to be able to absorb the mixture properly and really catch the flavour. The fresh bread doesn’t really take in as much of the mixture as you’d like, and that’s why if you don’t have day-old bread laying around the house you should try toasting the fresh one a bit before you start the process.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of half-and-half cream
- 2 table spoons of sugar
- 8 slices of white bread (preferably a day old)
- Half a table spoon of pure vanilla extract
- 2 table spoons of butter
- Before you start following this simple French toast recipe you will first have to pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees F.
- The next step is to beat the eggs before whisking in sugar, half and half and vanilla.
- You must get a see-through dish and pour the resulting mixture to about one inch deep.
- Make sure to heat the griddle up a little before melting a knob of butter on it and spreading the melted butter over the whole surface.
- Take some slices of the day-old bread and insert them into the mixture while counting to ten. As soon as you finish the count, flip the slices over and restart counting. Make sure not to soak more pieces of bread than your griddle can hold at a time.
- You must be careful when removing the pieces of bread. Make sure to let the excess mixture pour off the slice and into the dish before getting them on the griddle and into the oven. When the bread turns golden-brown on one side flip it over, and when it’s like that on both sides remove them from the oven.
- You must serve it before it gets cold, or make sure to place into the turned-off oven in a dish if you want it to keep it warm. The simple French toast recipe will bring flavour to your bread, making it a delight.
You can adapt the simple French toast recipe as you wish. You might leave the bread in a closed dish to make it a bit fluffier or you may leave it in an opened dish if you like it crunchier. The vanilla may be replaced by amaretto, and you could also add a spicier flavour by using cinnamon, orange zest or nutmeg.
If you want, you can also add a little bit of rum or brandy to this simple French toast recipe, but make sure you follow those steps. There are many other recipes with something extra or something missing from each. You just have to try and see which is most suited to your taste.